Growth5 Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

iPad Released

You may have heard, the iPad was released today. Charlie Rose covered the device on last night's show, the episode is not up on Hulu yet, but when it is, you'll be able to see it here. You'll be looking for Season 18, Episode 65.

The highlights:
1. 0:00 - 12:00 Charlie shows us how to use the device.

No one will ask him to fill in for Steve Jobs at a product reveal, but he did pretty well.

2. 12:00 Some reviews.

  • Time: "The first true home computer." - Lev Grossman
  • WSJ: "The potential to change portable computing profoundly, and to challenge the primacy of the laptop." - Walter Mossberg
  • NYT: "It's not nearly as good for creating stuff... it's infinitely more convenient for consuming it... For most people, manipulating these digital materials directly by touching them is a completely new experience – and a deeply satisfying one." - David Pogue
3. 14:00 Interview with Walt Mossberg (WSJ) and David Carr (NYT).

Paraphrasing their thoughts:

WM: Multi-touch and gesture will have an impact on the laptop because the user interface on the iPad is so much better than the mouse-driven interface.

DC: will be a mouse-killer because it's interface is based on the instinct of your hands... You sit next to someone who has it, you want it.

WM: People will not want to carry the iPad, their iPhone and their laptop as well. Apple will have to get people to be ok with not bringing their laptop with them and using the iPad in its place, if not, they won't buy the iPad. However, I've been using it for a week and I've reduced my laptop usage to 20%, I wrote a part of today's column on the iPad.

A lot will depend on whether or not you're comfortable typing on glass.

DC: You want to answer a short email, great, but you will answer the longer one on your laptop.

CR: I had no problem typing on this device, I don't understand the issue here.

4. 23:00 Apps.

WM: two differences in iPhone apps and iPad apps.

a) The iPhone apps were designed for smaller screens, so they show up in the center of the iPad screen, but there is a 2x button that makes it larger.

b) Apps built for the iPad will have more features, will be larger and as a result will be better.

5. 26:00 Is the iPad a Kindle killer?

DC: I never liked the Kindle because it's only good for one thing. The book reader on the iPad is the best app on here.

WM: The iPad is a better reading experience device. But remember, Kindle is also a service which will probably have an app for the iPad so people can still use the Kindle service.

6. 29:00 Buy it now?

WM will wait for the 3G version to purchase as the current device is WiFi only. Even though he has WiFi in 80% of his life, he would miss the other 20%, so he's going to wait.

7. 39:00 The tablet. Bill Gates had this first.

WM: Yes, but Microsoft didn't go far enough. The iPad interface blows away the PC tablet.

CR: The difference is Steve Jobs. He understands products and how to sell them.

DC: Steve Jobs understands timing - he knows when will there be enough content and access to drive the market.

WM: I give credit to Jobs for being a risk-taker, but we don't know if this will be a big success yet. I bet it will be a success, I'm just not sure how big... Apple is successful because it's a great innovator that people copy.

8. 48:00 Is it fast?

WM: this processor is made by Apple, this is a very fast device. The screens move very fast... The processor has been made specifically for the iPad software, so even though it's not as powerful as others out there... it's just wicked fast.

DC: it's sick how fast it is.

9. 50:00 What do you wish it had that it doesn't?

WM: I wish it had a webcam. Why can't I use it to make video Skype calls... I wish it had multi-tasking for third party apps (it does multi-task within Apple software). I wish it played Flash.

DC: not having Flash is a problem because it interrupts the browsing experience.

WM: Sites are starting to put iPad compatible videos up in addition to Flash videos.

10. 53:00 Charlie likes the iPad.

CR: I think it will be hugely successful because of how it feels in your hands, how easy it is to use and the explosion that will happen with the apps... we don't even know yet how much the forthcoming apps will add, but if it's anything like the iPhone, we have a lot to look forward to. It's only 1.5 lbs, it has a remarkably clear picture. You should investigate the device for yourself.
I have no plans to purchase the iPad as of yet. I do use my iPhone a lot with Verizon's MiFi and am growing impatient with the slow browsing experience (the iPhone CPU, not the connection speed).

Walt Mossberg seems to think I won't be waiting with this device, the iPad is "wicked fast." I'm going to let Apple fix the bugs for a bit, come out with the 3G version and maybe pick one up then. I will let you know.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home